Before you begin using SAP Cloud Appliance Library, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the following concepts. Depending on the types of tasks you perform, some of these concepts may not apply to you.
Administrator of SAP Cloud Appliance Library
SAP Cloud Appliance Library has one or more users designated as administrators. The administrator is the user at the customer site who is responsible for user and access management to SAP Cloud Appliance Library.
The user who initially logged on to SAP Cloud Appliance Library (https://cal.sap.com/) becomes the first administrator of the library in your own tenant. Afterwards, the first administrator can assign the administrator role to other users of SAP Cloud Appliance Library in your tenant. The last user to be logged on as the administrator cannot remove himself or herself from the list of administrator users of the SAP Cloud Appliance Library.
Additionally, the administrator role has permission to: manage access to accounts, delete accounts, unlock solutions, deactivate solutions, remove accounts assigned to the activated solutions, and perform operations on solution instances (connect and reboot) as well as perform instance backups (delete and restore).
Account Owner of SAP Cloud Appliance Library
SAP Cloud Appliance Library can have one or more users designated as account owners. The account owner is a user of SAP Cloud Appliance Library at the customer site who has the access credentials of the corresponding cloud provider and the authorization to use them. The account owner can unlock, activate SAP solutions, and also manage the solutions which they have activated.
Account owners manage accounts of SAP Cloud Appliance Library. They can assign new users to their accounts, change user roles and remove users from their accounts. The account owners can manage solution instances (create, activate, edit, connect, suspend, reboot and terminate), and manage instance backups (create, restore and delete). They can create, edit, and delete customized solutions.
Each approved user of SAP Cloud Appliance Library can become an account owner. A user of SAP Cloud Appliance Library can become an account owner in one of two ways:
- The user creates an SAP Cloud Appliance Library account
- The user is assigned as an account owner from another account owner of SAP Cloud Appliance Library
Operator of SAP Cloud Appliance Library
Operators of SAP Cloud Appliance Library have permission to create solution instances by using the solutions activated for the SAP Cloud Appliance Library account that they are assigned to. Operators can manage their solution instances (activate, edit, connect, suspend, reboot, back up, restore and terminate).
They could perform operations on all solution instances in the account where the operators are assigned to: suspend, activate, reboot, connect, back up such instances and restore their backups.
User of SAP Cloud Appliance Library
Users of SAP Cloud Appliance Library have permission to create solution instances by using the solutions activated for the SAP Cloud Appliance Library account that they are assigned to. Users can manage their solution instances (activate, edit, connect, suspend, reboot and terminate), and create backups from their instances as well as provide business users with the access details for the solutions.
Business users can use SAP solutions managed by SAP Cloud Appliance Library if granted access to the solution and if provided with the access details by a user or an account owner of SAP Cloud Appliance Library.
Account of SAP Cloud Appliance Library
Customers and partners connect to the cloud provider through their own account of SAP Cloud Appliance Library. When configuring this account you should provide the access credentials of the cloud provider to establish the communication between SAP Cloud Appliance Library and the cloud computing environment.
Cloud Provider Account
The user has to set up a cloud provider account, to which there is a charge for using the infrastructure of the cloud provider to run SAP solutions.
The solution entity describes one or more of the virtual appliances that work together. The following solutions exist:
- Simple solution: The simple solution contains one virtual appliance.
- Complex solution: The complex solution contains more than one virtual appliance.
- Educational solutions: These solutions are used for educational purposes and they have a free period depending on the course you have chosen.
- Developer editions: These solutions could be used as long as you comply with the terms and conditions of the Developer Agreement.
- Solutions with a free trial period: These solutions could be used as trials for the configured free period and afterwards if you want to continue using the instances created from these solutions, you have to unlock the subscription period for them.
- Solutions with a subscription period: To unlock the subscription period, you have to own the SAP Product licenses and to purchase the SAP Cloud Appliance Library subscription from the SAP Store.
- Model Company solutions: To unlock such solution, you have to own the SAP Product licenses and to get a license for the SAP Model Company Service. For more information, see the SAP Model Company home page.
A virtual appliance is a template for SAP software running on a single virtual machine. A virtual appliance only makes sense within a solution.
An instance of a solution that is dedicated to the organization using it. The term "instance" designates a running server based on a particular image definition. Instances are virtual servers with IP addresses running on the cloud infrastructure.
A tenant provides isolated Web access to the SAP Cloud Appliance Library for a group of users from a particular organization.